Friday, July 30, 2010

Heads Up


God! Look! Enemies past counting! Enemies sprouting like mushrooms,
Mobs of them all around me, roaring their mockery:
"Hah! No help for him from God!"

But you, God, shield me on all sides;
You ground my feet, you lift my head high;
With all my might I shout up to God,
His answers thunder from the holy mountain.

- - - - Psalm 3:1-4 (the Message)

The aviation world knows it well. Attitude determines altitude. Literally. Attitude refers to the way the craft is oriented in the air. If the nose of the plane is up, then the plane will go up. If the nose is down, the plane will descend.

One person I know, from whom I have learned much about staying in TODAY, says it this way, "Never let a bad moment turn into a bad day." A lot of that has to do with attitude. Am I looking up or looking down? Is my focus on the positive or the negative? Am I looking at my circumstances - or at how great God is? Even if I am looking toward God - a higher plane (pardon the pun) - do I really believe He has my best interests at heart, or do I believe that He's just waiting for me to screw up so He can thump me? That's going to determine my spiritual altitude.

So much to unlearn.

3 comments:

  1. One fellow I really respect had this to say:

    "I used to go to God and complain about how big my problems were. Now, I go to my problems and boast about how big my GOD is!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on. We know there are problems. Our problem is our God (the image we have of Him in our heads) is too small. Sounds like a new blog post coming up... (grin)

    ReplyDelete