Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Peace pursued

Update...
I finally decided to do what I was asked, make the changes I was asked to make, and pass the whole thing off to someone else who could better handle it, without being sarcastic and continuing to be rude (see last post). I actually got a thank you email from the person who was in charge of organizing everything - which she is very good at, by the way. Organizing things, that is.

I just don't like someone organizing ME.

The thanks were nice to have. I just have to learn not to over-commit just because someone throws a guilt trip on me. It's coming. Slowly. Part of my recovery from my particular brand of addiction to controlling people (that is, "fixing" or "rescuing" people) is learning how to say no, learning how to let people live their own lives and staying out of what doesn't concern me. After some 40 years of doing that, it's kind of hard to get rid of - but when I do, the rewards are so much bigger than I could have imagined.

Someday I'll learn to act as my first recourse, not react as my last. To think ahead and prevent a catastrophe rather than do what comes naturally and get in a huge mess because of it.

I love the T-shirt I saw on a renovation show once. This carpenter had a T-shirt on with only one word, written exactly this way:

THNIK

Makes you thnik - er - think, doesn't it???

No comments:

Post a Comment