Saturday, July 10, 2010

For Beautiful Lips, Speak Only Words of Kindness


Audrey Hepburn said that. I love it!!

Apparently, the full quote is, " For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."

Here's her photo in her zenith - her "girl-next-door" persona only enhanced her physical beauty.

She also said something like, "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

Here's another: "Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm. As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help yourself, the second is to help others."

She's also quoted as saying,
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."

I remember watching Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire dancing in a scene out of an old movie once. Wow! Then recently I found out she couldn't dance a step before that movie (I even forget its name...) and she took the role anyway. After that, she plunged herself into learning the steps. The result was breathtaking.

Watching old movies is not something I do nearly as much as I would like to. I consider myself a throwback to a previous generation. I like stories that "end right" - where good wins out over evil and the lost princess always finds her prince, and they live happily ever after. I don't watch movies that approximate reality or have a lot of "angst" - there's way more than enough of that in everyday life to make me jaded. I prefer to escape from the way things usually turn out, and feed my sense of "rightness."

Stories like the Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, The Sound of Music, Star Wars, the Lion King, or Raiders of the Lost Ark really provide me with a release - strengthen my belief that truth and justice are worth fighting for, and that the bad guys will eventually get what is coming to them. These stories are what John Eldredge would call "mythic" in that they tell the real story of the human heart - that we are in a world at war, that things are not what they seem, that we are more important than we have been led to believe, and that we can make a real difference.

That's something I wouldn't mind being a part of. I guess that because I am a Christian, I already signed up without knowing it.
Cool!!


No comments:

Post a Comment