Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sunshiny day

Today has been one of those perfect summer days. Not too muggy, it's sunny and hot, with just enough breeze to keep the bugs away.

So I decided to do something I've rarely done since I went on vacation a week and a half ago: do a little sunbathing. As I felt the sun soaking into my skin I also felt the stresses of the day just melt away. How did that happen, I wondered. Ah, forget it. This feels good.

Distant were the calls of today's schedule, of my blog (horrors!!) and even thoughts about tomorrow's itinerary. Mmmm. I could get used to this. I guess this is what vacation is supposed to feel like. Decent!

Looking back, I wasn't really doing anything in those few minutes that I couldn't do elsewhere in my mind. Enjoying the moment - whether it's lying out in the sun, feeding a helpless animal, catching up on emails at work (which I will be doing in less than a week), or running errands in town - is a state of mind. I'm starting to learn that. The better I learn it, the happier I am. And the more I let go of the stuff I DON'T need - like trying to fix other people, manipulating them with guilt or shame, or blaming myself for their mistakes - that only reduces the stress more.

I could get used to that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment