Friday, June 10, 2011

One Day at a Time

My hubby and I were talking today on the phone; he was at home and I was at work.  Then he said something regarding a health issue he's been having that made my stomach give a lurch ... suffice to say that the worst case scenario suddenly intruded on my mind.

It took a while for me to address the cold fingers of panic that enveloped my intestines and squEEzed.  While talking to someone after that about the possibilities of what the trouble might be, she happened to mention in passing, "One day at a time." My head snapped around - and I just stared at her for a second.  Then I kind of laughed, and said, "Yeah, I know all about one day at a time..." and went back to my desk.

She didn't know how much I needed to hear that.  Her off-handed comment reduced my feelings of fear and dread a bit, and it also reminded me of one of the tenets of my new-found lifestyle: I am powerless over others and I am powerless over outcomes.  

Over 2 years ago, and periodically since that time, I gave (and have given) my will and my life over to the loving care of God ... and He is the one in charge, so I give this fear and this whole situation to Him as well. 

That sentence, "ODAAT" or "One Day At A Time" has come to my rescue many times in the last 2 plus years.  

And the concept is still the same.  

"Tomorrow has enough trouble of its own."  

God only gives enough strength for today while it's still today. One plaque I read during my childhood goes, "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday." It's funny, I never forgot that.   ;D

My hubby isn't concerned about this new development.  He figures there's nothing he can do about it now, and it's time to trust the people who have the training to deal with it.  I've always been the kind to immediately jump to the worst case scenario.  It's a vestige left over from when I lived life out of fear.... a hard habit to break.

So I am reminding myself that whether this health situation is something simple or something ... not so simple, today is today and I can embrace all that is in it.  And when what is now tomorrow arrives, it will then be today and I will have the strength for it then, and not before.

I'm not denying that I feel unsure, vulnerable, helpless, and a touch overwhelmed.  But I do know that these feelings are normal, and that I can rest in the knowledge that I am loved.  And that I can remind my hubby that HE is loved, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment