Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bouquets Raised

Someone reminded me yesterday or the day before of a story told by Corrie ten Boom, well-known Christian author and speaker, survivor of the Holocaust, and much more.  Her book The Hiding Place is still a must-read for those looking to increase their faith.  I just checked and yes, it is available through Amazon (there's even an e-book for under $7.00!! wow!)

Anyway, in one of her later books she tells the story of how she was led into speaking and writing, and the lessons she learned there.  One of those stories is of the trouble she had with the accolades of people who would come up to her after she had spoken, to thank her for being such a blessing to them.  She was very uncomfortable with this praise.  She thought (as do I often regarding my own giftings) that she did not deserve the praise of those people, that God deserved it instead.  Yet when she would direct their thanks to the One above, they would appear crestfallen.  She decided to pray about this, because that's the kind of relationship she had with God - they talked about everything.

She told Him about her dilemma.  And then she listened.  In the stillness of her heart she heard something like these thoughts:  "They need to say thank you.  And you need to smile and say thank you back to them.  Think of their kind words and compliments, each one as a single rose.  Collect the roses and at the end of the day, and only if you are willing, offer them up to Me as a bouquet."

Sometimes people come to me and tell me things, that they enjoy my singing, that they think I'm a fabulous writer, cook, friend (or whatever the case may be)... and for many years I was decidedly uncomfortable with this.  In a very real sense I still am.  Yet, I realize - and this has only happened in the last few years - that the hearts from which these compliments come are grateful, that they have a need to express themselves, and that I steal that from them when I seem to dismiss their words with, "Well, praise the Lord!!"  So, even though I don't do what I do FOR them, I have learned to smile and say a simple, "Thank you!"  

And yes, afterward I do give that rose to God and then tell Him how wonderful He is, how grateful I am to Him.  Call it some baby's breath to go with it.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment