Sunday, June 5, 2011

Now say something nice

Source of this photo:
http://onemanbandwidth.com/wordpress/category/asia/
There's a friend of mine who grew up saying to someone in her life, "Now say something nice."  This person was really critical and never seemed to have something good to say about anyone.

Looking back over my last few posts, I guess I've been doing a lot of ranting about this or that belief or behavior.  So it's high time I started practicing some gratitude.  Ever notice that someone - EVERYONE - looks better when he or she is smiling? Even if their teeth are yellowed or missing entirely, a smile that is genuine will usually generate a smile from someone else.

So here are a few things I have noticed, nice things that have happened, or just things for which I am grateful this week:
  • We actually DID see some sunshine this week!  The winter coats are put away and the big yellow thing did show itself in the sky!
  • I caught a nap for the first time in a long time this afternoon.  It felt good.
  • I had a chance to talk with my brother yesterday without my mother present - he felt safe in talking to me about what HE wanted without feeling guilty, and we even had a few laughs.
  • I am continually grateful for the restoration of relationships with my husband and kids.  This brings me so much happiness.  At one point I had nobody who loved me except my husband and kids, and (at that time) I felt that they only tolerated me because I cooked the meals and paid a few bills.  Now I know they truly do love me and that they enjoy my company... and I enjoy theirs.  
  • I have more friends than I ever thought possible.  I have friendships with people who consider me an equal and whom I consider equals.  This is huge for me because if I had friends at all before, they were people who looked down on me or who looked up to me.  What a wonderful feeling to be on level ground!
  • My job brings me a lot of satisfaction.  I have opportunities to help people and to expand my boundaries in that arena.
  • And, more and more frequently, I get to go to gatherings where I know I am loved and where I feel safe.  At such places I know I don't have to say or do anything to be accepted and valued.  I just need to be there and listen.  If I want to share my own experience, my sharing is respected and I know there will be no gossip or judgment.  
The things that make life worth living are the simplest - I know I forget that all too quickly.  Shelter, food, clothing, a feeling of security / safety, a sense of belonging, a sense of purpose - each is just as essential as the other. Even something as simple as a smile when someone is having one of those "days from hell."  

Funny how my tendency is to major on the minor things and forget the important things. Every so often I need to be reminded to focus on what is uplifting, what is true, what will build up and encourage.

Like saying something nice.   Thank you, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment