Friday, August 12, 2011

If Only...

Summertime finds many people crossing days off the calendar at work or elsewhere as they wait for an anticipated trip or just their vacation.  I've caught myself counting down the days to my vacation in my head as it gets closer and closer.  

I don't think there's anything wrong with looking forward to upcoming events.  At the same time, it's possible to live so much for a future happening that a person can forget to enjoy today.  

Another danger is the one that involves wishing for a change in circumstances or in someone's behavior or personality, to the extent that it robs a person of enjoying the present events or company.  I still catch myself doing it. Sometimes when people say something like, "It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow," I occasionally blurt out, "If only it would stick around all week!!"

If only.  How many years have I wasted with "if only."  Never satisfied with my lot in life, never satisfied with how people were behaving, wanting to fix people, change circumstances.  It has robbed me of a lot of joy along the way.

One of my favorite scenes in the "Star Wars" trilogy (okay, I have a LOT of favorites, but this is one) is in Episode V when Yoda nearly gives up on his potential protégé Luke, saying, "For many years have I watched this one.  Never his mind on where he was! what he was doing!  always he had to be looking away to the future..." The scene - when I see it - reminds me to be present wherever I am and not to be wishing my life away.  

When I live in the now - when I concentrate on being thankful for what is, instead of wishing for what isn't - my stress level goes down, my contentment goes up and I'm better able to handle the stresses (and the joys) of the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment