Sunday, August 7, 2011

One Little Cog

Seven hundred years of faithfulness.  Huh.  

I just got finished re-watching "WALL-E" by Disney / Pixar ®.  WALL-E stands for Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class. (That's for those trivia buffs.)  

It struck me that this little guy couldn't do much, but he kept on doing what he was designed to do. He looked after his pet, his house, and his job, and he collected things that interested him. When he wasn't working, he dreamed of what might be beyond his little world.  And then someone out of this world rocked his: EVE - (again for the trivia buffs: Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator) - a lady on a mission.  

It was his character of willingness, helpfulness and faithfulness that got me.  Just one little fella but everyone he came in contact with, he touched with a song, a helping hand.  And when it came right down to it, he just happened to be instrumental in getting people back to Earth and building a whole new, greener society.  

I know it's just fiction.  I like to watch and read fiction that uplifts, where good wins out.  It might not mirror how the world operates.  But I get enough of that in the world.  I like to see things 'end right'.  And this charming little story ends right.  

Sometimes I identify with WALL-E. And I'd like to think that even in a small way, my existence has some sort of meaning, a grander design than just the sum of my likes, talents, education, experience, and appearance.  

That's something to dream about.

No comments:

Post a Comment