Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yawn

It feels good.  Yawning feels good.  And it's contagious!!  

One of the most contagious yawns in the natural world is a horse's yawn... they stretch out their long necks, close their eyes a bit (or completely), open their mouths wide and yawn deeply... often skewing their lower jaw to one side. I remember "cooling off" my mount after riding lessons about 20 years ago - and she would get me yawning with abandon with just one or two of hers.  She enjoyed it SO much!!

We excuse ourselves when we yawn in front of others because we think that it shows we are bored, tired, or disinterested.  But it doesn't necessarily mean that.   According to recent research, yawning is the brain's way of maintaining the body's temperature in order to think better.  It's a re-energizer, allowing the body to change from one state of mind to another.  It helps us relax.  It even acts in a similar way to some anti-depressant medications, inhibiting the brain's re-uptake of serotonin so that these neurotransmitters are more readily available for use in brain receptors. 
( Source:  www.naturalnews.com ). 

So yawning is good for us!  (I knew it!! - well.... I suspected...)  That's comforting, because I've been doing a lot of it lately... even talking about it - or remembering being around that horse - can set me yawning:  perhaps you yourself have been doing it while reading this (and no, I won't take it personally).  

Okay then.  Here's another thing to add to my list of things to do to look after myself.  Hm!

I can do this...  :O

No comments:

Post a Comment