Saturday, May 14, 2011

Fitting Rooms

I was at a local McDonald's restaurant this morning which is situated inside a department store.  Hubby and I do that sometimes, to get away from the ordinary routine, to plan our Saturday shopping.

As we talked, I saw a sign out of the corner of my eye.  It said "Fitting Rooms" - and because we had just been talking about our own experience in 12-step groups, it struck a chord with me and I smiled - and started to "mist over."  I thought about how that expression, "fitting rooms," could be used to describe the atmosphere of the 12-step groups with which we've been associated.


Hubby was intrigued.  He wanted me to explain what I meant.

So, what I shared with him I am now sharing with you.

Walk into any 12-step group for the first time and you're met with a welcome, a smile, and possibly a handshake or even a hug.  Nobody in recovery from any addiction, whether to a substance or a behavior, feels any more important than anyone else in the room, no matter what the social stratum or the amount in the bank.  The traditions and the format of the meeting might feel a little strange at first, but before long you realize it's a place into which you "fit."  Many of the regulars refer to such groups as, "these rooms."  Or simply, "the rooms."  Every single one of them is grateful for "the rooms." Anyone who isn't - doesn't stay long.

You also discover, over time, that it is a room (or an atmosphere) that is "fitting" (suitable for - or conducive to) a lot of things you might not find in any other place, try as you might: love, acceptance, mercy, respect, caring, compassion, contentment.  Even friendship.

And as you grow into a new lifestyle based on honesty, openness, and willingness, you find that "the room" is a place that helps you to "fit" into life again - a normal life.  Those behaviors that just weren't working, that were causing more isolation and chaos, pushing people away rather than connecting with them ... these all naturally just drop off your spirit and you start to experience life the way "normal" people do: with self-respect, dignity, and a growing sense of gratitude on top of it all.  Speaking as someone who's always believed that "normal is just a setting on your washing machine," that is a real trip!!  

Yes, they're "fitting rooms" - - for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment