Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Just for Today

Just for today I can face the task ahead.

Whether the whole day, a few hours, or the next twenty seconds, whatever the case requires: I can face it.  I can ask for help if I need it...and I can receive that help when it is offered, without feeling guilt or shame.

At no time do I ever know what the path ahead will bring to me.  However, I can trust - for today - that someone has walked it before me. And I can trust the One who forged the path, blazed that trail, whether it is happy or dangerous or sad, frustrating or breathtakingly beautiful.

Today, I will not borrow from tomorrow's troubles.  Tomorrow has enough trouble of its own and I do not have the resources to deal with it until it becomes today.  I will trust God that those resources will come to my aid when I need them - and not before.

Just for today, I will not add to my load by carrying the burdens of yesterday.  I will take them out of my backpack, find out where they belong and put them there.  No matter how long it takes.  Putting yesterday where it belongs lightens my load today and frees me to face it without being sapped of strength.

I will not assume anyone else's burden today, except from a place of understanding and compassion.  I will not try to repair the broken pieces of someone else's life.  That is a task reserved for that person's Creator.  I will be there for that person but I will not shield him or her from living life - no matter how hard that is. Just for today. And with the help of my Creator, I will refuse to succumb to fear for anyone, including myself.  Instead, I will submit to Love.

The gift of today, its joys and its sorrows, its beauty and its tragedy, is a loving and wise gift from above.  I will experience it with gratitude as it unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment