Monday, May 23, 2011

Life Now

This morning the house was quiet as hubby and I slipped away for a quiet breakfast together and then to run a few errands.  One of those errands was a small road trip to a place we'd never been to see someone about some supplies for a project we are planning for the summer.  It was just the two of us...traveling on the open road in the sunshine, talking about everything and nothing.

Little moments like that are the stuff that real life is made of.  It's what I think of when I hear the term "abundant life."  

Not the global platitudes of peace on earth and what the world needs now is love sweet love. Not the "we better get busy and work our behinds off before Jesus comes back" kind of stuff.  It's the simple, basic, everyday minutiae.  The tiny details of our existence can make life worth living if we look for them, keep our spiritual eyes open, however you want to put it.  The intricacies of creation have always spoken volumes to me.  A hug from a friend - a smile - time spent in the company of friends in a safe and accepting atmosphere.  These are things that are irreplaceable..

Recently a friend of ours passed away and I've been thinking a fair bit about the expression "Life's too short."  

It's true.  Life IS too short to spend it on things that don't matter.  To waste it on pursuits that are impossible to achieve: perfection, for one.  To NOT take the time to marvel at a bee tumbling out of a flower and flying away when (aerodynamically) it's impossible for it to do so, or the beauty of the sun sparkling on the water ... looking as though the angels are playing "light tag."  

Way too often, I have the tendency to complain and/or criticize instead of compliment and/or commend.  I know I often fall into the trap of focusing on what is lacking in my life instead of being grateful for what I DO have.  As one songwriter (Gordon Jensen) put it, "I've been blessed with more than my share..."  

I think I'll spend a little time today saying two very important words to the people in my life who matter to me.

Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment