Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Little-used Key to freedom

One of the things in my childhood that gave me some stability was the cartoon show, "The Flintstones."  I'd never miss an episode and even after the series ended, I would watch the re-runs until I knew the songs and the dialogue by heart.  I didn't know it was based on "The Honeymooners" ... I just loved how Fred would always get into trouble, he'd always get mad at Barney, he'd always feel the need to lie to get out of trouble, and Wilma would always forgive him in the end.

But only after he used the key.

One of my favorite episodes is about a show that Wilma and her lady friends are putting on.  They need an act and they want Fred to find one for it.  He comes up empty.  Wilma pressures him while he's watching TV and... well ... watch for yourself! It's hilarious!!



 Fred does meet Rock Roll.  He gets him to perform, but just before the show he comes down with laryngitis and can't do it.  He gets Fred to pretend to be him while a record of his hit song plays.  You guessed it - the record develops a skip - and the house of cards comes crashing down.


The Key I mentioned before, the Key that Fred has to use, and in fact, the Key to every episode of The Flintstones is this:   "The truth will set you free."  Hm. That sounds familiar.


Nothing more complicated - or should I say simple - than the truth.  I wonder if I were more forthright, more cut-the-crap in my life, and just said how I felt, whether it would make a difference.  Any time I HAVE done it... it was hard, but it did work out.  So I need to cultivate a lifestyle of rigorous honesty, first and most importantly with myself and with God, and then with others.  

Time for some self-talk.  Tell the truth Judy; own up to your mistakes and your attempts to get approval or acclaim - even if it hurts - and things will work out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment