Saturday, December 11, 2010

Longer

Love songs have been written since music was invented.  

The church is full of love songs.  Promises we make to God, affirmations of devotion to Him, great intentions all.

Take one song that many people love.  The lyrics go (in part), "Jesus, lover of my soul, Jesus, I won't ever let You go, .... though my world may fall I'll never let You go..."  

I like the sentiment. But ... I know how fickle and how weak I am.  If my eternal destiny depends on my ability to hold onto God, then quite frankly ... I am sunk.  I'm well aware of my limitations.  And so is God.  A re-write I've been known to sing is, "Jesus, Lover of my soul, Jesus, You won't ever let me go.... though my world may fall You'll never let me go."  That is truth based on His promise, "Look, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."  I can get behind that, because His is the only love that is steadfast.  

I love to read the chapters in the Old Testament book of Isaiah (especially chapters 40 through to 55), written to people who were living lives that were an affront to everything God was; yet, He extended His love to them.  The drawing to the right (above) depicts one of my favorite affirmations of His love.  "See! I will not forget you.  I have carved you on the palm of My hand." Since before the world began, and since God is timeless, exists outside of time so that He is in all places at all times all at once, and knowing how awfully I would treat Him, He loves me.


The little song I've included below, written and sung by Dan Fogelberg, speaks to me when sometimes even Christian songs can't.  I hope it touches you as well.  Have a wonderful time with Him.





No comments:

Post a Comment