Friday, September 23, 2011

Light Enough

At one point today I found myself describing a journey that took me a year or more, summarizing it in the space of 20 minutes.  I got to thinking about that afterward.  The person I used to be and the person I am now are so different in so many ways I can't begin to count them - and if one were to look at that difference one might get overwhelmed by the enormity of the changes.  

Yet ... it's happened in small increments - by millimeters - almost imperceptibly.  I've only had enough light to see where the next step is.  That's all.  It's a walk of total trust borne of desperation, borne of inability to do it myself because I'm traveling blind.  Only God can see the outcome and knows where to lead.

I found this photo of an ancient Hebrew
lamp through Google Images at:

http://www.garstang.us/judaean/index.htm
There is never any more than enough light to see the next step.  Any more than that, and we'd be running off ahead where we've no right to be, where we're not ready for what's out there because we haven't gone through what's in here.  Inside.  The journey is one that takes place from the inside out.  It takes as long as it takes.  It is what it is   -  and it's different for every person.  I can share what my journey looked like, and there are some general guidelines to help someone who wants to go on that journey.  Signposts along the way, so to speak.  But I can't travel it for the person, nor should I try; that person's path might lie on different terrain which is specifically suited to him or her.  

And always - the tiny fire glows and grants just light enough to see - one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment