Sunday, April 17, 2011

Restorations

One of the most famous art restorations in history is the one done of the Mona Lisa.  It was painted on a block of poplar wood by one of the most remarkably talented painters of the Renaissance period, if not of all time.


Amazing.

In 1956, someone threw acid at Leonardo da Vinci's famous painting.  The acid landed on the lower half of the painting and the restoration took several years before the restored painting went on display in New York, Tokyo and Moscow in the 60's and 70's.  

Perhaps if it hadn't been for the acid attack, nobody would have thought of trying to restore the painting to its original beauty.  There's a thought!  Isn't it odd that it would take a seeming tragedy to bring about a means for countless people to enjoy the enhanced wonder of da Vinci's brilliance.


Someone recently did a computer scan of the Mona Lisa and found that da Vinci used over 30 layers of varnish over the painting to preserve it.  Over time, the varnish darkened, producing the yellowish cast most associate with the painting. Removing those layers - little bit by little bit - allowed the natural colours of the original work to shine through.

The process of restoration is painstaking.  Brushstroke after brushstroke, millimeter by millimeter.  It takes a great deal of skill.  It also takes time.

It takes a LONG time.

The restorer has great skill.  He knows what he's doing.  

When I get discouraged at how long my own restoration of spirit is taking, how sometimes I tend to take a step forward and then three steps back, I remember that I'm not in charge of this process, and that my Restorer IS.  I am encouraged to look back over the whole of the journey and not just the events of the last day or week or two.  When I do that, and realize how it is God who has empowered me to go through this process, I am so very grateful ... and another millimeter of yet another layer of lacquer comes off of my spirit.

I'm very, very glad He doesn't give up on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment