Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Looking out for #1

Who's got time to look after the one in the mirror when there are so many other urgent priorities clamoring for attention?

But it's important to look after ourselves. A simple matter like tooth-brushing was a luxury that for years I felt I couldn't take the time to do when someone else needed or wanted my attention. 

Until about a year ago.  I'd been on my journey for a few months and I had gotten to the stage where I was making restitution to people for the harm I had caused them.  I thought I was finished with this when God tapped me on the shoulder of my spirit and said, "Uh, you forgot someone."  Yes, He meant me.  I had (by neglecting my own needs) been hurting myself.  It was time to treat myself differently.  I came up with a whole raft of other ways in which I was mistreating myself.  It was time to correct that - to make amends to myself.

And you know, when I started treating myself with respect, I found I had more to give to others.  It's weird but it works that way (as I have said before, the Golden Rule talks about loving one's neighbor AS oneself, not better than oneself.)

Over the last few weeks I have been paying more attention to my own health.  Since about a year or so ago, I have been paying more attention to taking in vitamins and minerals that my body needs.  

I've been trying to recover from putting my back out about 2 weeks ago - the recovery has been quite slow but it's starting to turn a corner.  

And since it's getting close to Resurrection weekend and our church is putting on a passion play, I am doing my level best to be AT my best for it.  I'm taking part in the play and I don't want to let the cast down.  My part is a solo, which I am really looking forward to doing.  

By the way, if anyone wants to attend the play (called "By His Stripes") it's at Calvary Church at 7:30 Friday night, and again on Sunday morning at 10:30.

Anyway, I digress.  The last week or so I have been really ramping up my self-care regimen to include foods rich in vitamin C and - to reduce the soreness in my throat - slightly more salty, without loading up on calories.  And I have also been taking a C supplement.  I've bowed out of some of my evening commitments so that I can avoid worsening my symptoms.  The result of this plus copious amounts of prayer from myself and others on my behalf - has been a slow but steady recovery.  Today I was even able to sing for a few minutes with my daughter on the way home from work!

Self-care is a healthy thing.  Physically AND mentally.  

Adequate sleep, good nutrition and hygiene, and taking time out for things that we like to do, all contribute to a healthy mind in a healthy body.  Our families and friends can better count on us when we are living a balanced life.

If we are constantly pouring out our lives for people without taking time to replenish our energies, we will hit burnout and resent the very people we have been trying so hard to help.  I know because it's happened to me before, and to so many others.  Having enough strength to share with others can only come from a place of plenty.  That can only come from enjoying our lives, really living.

We must have in order to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment