Thursday, April 28, 2011

Making Adjustments

For the past few weeks I've been going to see my chiropractor.  I went to him for the first time about 10 years ago after I did something at work and could hardly move my neck without pain.  He took X-rays and discovered degenerative disc disease in my neck and lower back.  He started making adjustments.

Within 2 weeks or so of treatment the pain was gone and I was able to function.  Every so often (once every 6 months to 3 years) I need to go back.

Over the years, there are some things I've learned about pain, the nature and purpose of pain, and the elimination of it.  I think that they could be applied to any kind of pain, including the emotional kind.

I have said this before, but pain is a gift, even though it doesn't feel like it!!  It is a signal that something is wrong and needs to be fixed.  The body will continue to complain about whatever is wrong until the source of the problem is addressed.

My chiropractor tells me that over half of the pain of a misalignment of the spine comes from the muscles around it overcompensating to hold the back in place and maintain some level of functioning.  The thing is, they are holding it in an unnatural position and that hurts! So the first thing is to convince the muscles in the back to relax and let go of their grip.  

After that starts to happen, the chiropractor makes an adjustment: it can't be too large or sudden, or the body just wouldn't be able to stand the pain.  So it happens by degrees.  That gives the back time to get used to the "new reality."  And after every adjustment, because the muscles have to figure out a new way to hold things in place, the affected area may seem to be worse for a while.  But if I trust the process, this worsening is temporary and the muscles adjust.  Eventually the back settles down to a lower level of pain than before the adjustment.  Usually the pain goes away completely.  In time.

The course of treatment takes the form of a series of adjustments to the muscles and eventually of the spine itself.  Every time I have a treatment, I go into the treatment room where that glorious "bed" is - and I "assume the position" - trusting that the doctor will not harm me but help me - even if it hurts more for a while. After all, he's focusing on the source of the pain ... a misalignment at the core of my body.  

It works the same way with my spiritual or emotional pain.  Adjustments in my attitudes and beliefs, in my relationships with people and especially with myself, are slow to make and they are painful.  There usually is a sense of relief once well into the process, but at the beginning it can feel like things are getting worse, not better. It's easy to get discouraged, except that the pain is a constant reminder that things are not yet as they will be.

There comes a point in every course of treatment that signals the beginning of the end of the pain.  For me it can take as much as 2 and a half weeks.  Once it happens, though, the difference from one treatment to the next is noticeable.  It takes a great deal of commitment to set aside time to look after myself, to spend time doing nothing but relaxing in the doctor's presence.  The pain and / or discomfort keeps me focused on why I am there, and I have learned that investing that time will allow me to function better and be able to help others - my family, friends, and co-workers.  

And spiritual and/or emotional pain is like that too.  It helps me concentrate better on the goal : improvement, getting better.  When I invest the time to spend with the Great Physician, relaxing in His presence, letting Him work on me at the core level, it does get better - so that I'm better able to live my life unencumbered by the nagging pain of things not addressed.

I'm finding too, that I can help things along even by resting when I need to rest, by stopping what I'm doing and going to do something completely different, just to change position or perspective.  What a relief in the physical sense just to go from seated to standing to walking! or from standing to seated!  Just so in the emotional / psychological sense  -  sometimes I just need a breath of fresh air, an infusion of new life.  Music and nature do that for me.

I'm learning to look after myself and to allow myself time to get things done, to not stress out if it's about something that's non-essential or it's not done as fast as I would like. As I loosen up both physically and mentally, I'm better able to do even more of what's good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment