Monday, January 10, 2011

Taking the Plunge

"Are you gonna go?"
"No, are you?"
"Well, someone's gotta! We've been standing here for a long time!"
"What if we fail?"
"Well, what if we don't?"
"Okay, if nobody else is gonna go, I will!  Geronimo-o-o!!"  SPLASH!

"Hey - that looks like fun  -  I think I will too." Splash!! "Yahoo! this is great - come on in, guys!!"

Any new venture is pretty scary.  I know because I've been tossing this one around for a long time.  But as I was trying to decide today whether I should go ahead and take the plunge, so to speak, I decided to go to a site I often go to as a check against my own status of recovery and this is what I read:

Relax. Our best is good enough. It may be better than we think. Even our failures may turn out to be important learning experiences that lead directly to - and are necessary for - an upcoming success.

Feel the fear, and then let it go. Jump in and do it - whatever it is. If our instincts and path have led us there, it's where we need to be. ( from the Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie © 1990 Hazelden Foundation )


It was just what I needed to give me the impetus, that last little nudge to launch out into the deep, so to speak.

So, I sent a message to a local pastor who had told me months ago that he and the leadership team of the church would be open to letting a 12-step group meet in the church. 


The need, I told him in my message, was not for "just another 12-step group" but for something that as yet does not exist on PEI.  I pitched him the proposal and am waiting to see what he'll say.


I've also been reading a book on walking in God's will ... and it seems to dovetail with this new venture.  The author, one Steve McVey, says that the basis for discovering God's will is anchored in His sovereignty.  

He is in control of the universe and the universe (try as I might to deny this) includes me.  If I step out and do something and it's NOT His will, He'll find a way to show me.  He's never surprised, never has to resort to "plan B" because He exists outside time and sees the beginning from the end.  

That's such a relief for someone who has to know what's going to happen well in advance.  It's a relief because I can let go of my need to know - and just trust Him.

So in the days and weeks to come, there could be a marvelous opportunity coming for me to reach out to people who, just like me, are getting unwrapped.  Or who want to.  And as it unfolds, should that be God's plan - you are welcome to share in it with me, or support us in prayer - because we're going to need a lot of it.  (Gulp!) 

2 comments: