Sunday, January 30, 2011

Run for the Rose


It was June 1973.  Triple Crown fever had edged north because finally, a race horse named Secretariat had a chance at winning the third jewel of the Crown: the Belmont Stakes.

He'd won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes by two and a half lengths each, breaking the track record for each race track.  Spirits were high as he entered the Belmont on June 9, 1973.

I remember watching the pre-race activities on TV with my dad.  Excitement was building.  As the great chestnut horse was warming up you could hear the noise level of the crowd increase.  He was up against only four other horses that day.

From the opening bell he knew what he was going to do - what he had done in the previous two races - take each quarter-mile faster than the last. But nobody expected what came that day - something that has not been equaled since.  The announcers were amazed, excited, and dumbstruck all at once!

Join the excitement of that race:




The announcers estimated a 25-length lead at the time of the race - which was in itself a never-before-seen lead.  But race analysts afterward calculated that Secretariat held a 31-length lead over Sham and the other horses racing that day.

When the lead started to open up on the back stretch, I remember leaning forward in my seat.  Finally I jumped to my feet as the camera panned back further and further to be able to keep all the horses in the viewfinder.  Even at my tender age of 12 years I knew I was watching history in the making!  I wanted to jump up and down and scream!

What a tremendous victory!  There was no question of who won that day, no photo finish to ponder over.  Secretariat had emerged the clear winner and earned his spot in the annals of history... just watching the race footage brings back the thrill of that day. 

It kind of reminds me (in small measure) of the victory Jesus won over sin, death, and hell - a perfect trifectate if there ever was one!  He emerged from the tomb, the Victor, from the dark domain.  He conquered the enemy of our souls and He invites us to join in the celebration!

If that's not something to jump up and down about - I don't know what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment