Thursday, January 27, 2011

Easing back in

Okay so I've been thinking about this for a long time.  I've missed playing my guitars for so many years, complained about it, blamed this person, that person, busy-ness, the loss of my callouses, and/or my having to spend so much time at work, for keeping me from it. Lately it's been a more legitimate reason: my right shoulder made it painful for me to get my right arm out and around the acoustic guitar.  Funny how when I didn't MAKE the time to play the acoustic guitar, I was really making excuses for not playing it because I just got out of the habit.  But when I wasn't ABLE to play it anymore... suddenly I wanted to.

So a couple of days ago, I finally decided that enough was enough.  I needed a guitar body that was thin enough for me to get my arm around the front without hurting my shoulder, and where the strings kissed the frets to make the callous-building process as painless as possible and still allow me to get a decent sound out of the thing.  

Enter my friend who's pictured above.  She came home with a second-hand amplifier and cord - and I set her up and tuned her right away.  

Yes - it felt good to play again! 

I name stuff from guitars to cars to plants.  I'm kind of funny that way; each seems to have its own personality or symbolism for me.  This one was dubbed Penelope after my grade six teacher (see one of yesterday's posts) who was gentle, and who helped develop my writing talents.

My getting this guitar for myself is one sign that I'm giving myself permission to look after me, to look after my spirit.  

It will be a few weeks before my callouses will have built up enough for me to be able to play in front of people.  But I'm enjoying our time as we worship God together and get to know one another at the same time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment