Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back to School

There she is - a month after passing the GED with flying colours. Afterward, subsequent to spending maybe six to eight months doing not much of anything except Skyping with her friends and going to a chiropractor for a neck problem - my oldest daughter announced shortly after Tsuri died, that she had decided to go to college. She wanted to take an executive assistant's program and maybe even work where I work someday.

I almost fell off my chair. I've been waiting for her to decide to do something about her education, but I had to stay silent... because she is not only my daughter but my husband's as well, and she can't be coerced into anything she isn't completely ready for. I'm only about 19 months into recovery from my obsession to "fix" people and therefore control their lives, their beliefs, their behaviour, and their lives, so I have learned somewhat how to let go and not control or manipulate. I'm SO glad I was able to "let go" and let her be who she is. Her decision is doubly rewarding for me now, because I know she came to it on her own without ANY input from me. How very freeing!

Anyway, she called the college a couple of days after Tsuri died and within 24 hours, they called her back and wanted to see her the next day. By the end of the next day, she had brochures and information up the wazoo. (What is a wazoo anyway?) And by the end of that week, she was registered. When my hubby called me with the dollar amount of her tuition - I was glad I was sitting down! Wow - five figures for like - 13 months of school... what's up with that?

So after my wallet stopped trembling, I realized that I would be spending as much if not more for her to go to university. And she'd be staying home so the expense of residence wouldn't be an issue. She has really stepped up to the plate. She's even looking forward to going.

This morning, though, I thought she was going to renege on her commitment to go to college. Tsuri's cage-mate Ceçania (pronounced Sah-SAH-nyah) died around 2 o'clock or so this morning, after my daughter's cat led her into the room and looked at the cage. It was like the cat knew something was wrong. Ceçania was very sick - appeared to be uncomfortable as well. She had gained weight astronomically since Tsuri's stroke and now she was appearing to seize, spasm, or something. With my daughter's attention and stroking she calmed down, but it was very clear that she had possibly developed a urinary infection ... or something worse, like a tumour - that would explain the sudden weight gain.

As Krysta told us about her pet's last hours, tears trickled down her cheeks, because while she was going through it, she was trying very hard to be brave for her furry friend, who was very sensitive to people's moods. After she had said her good-byes and made her apologies for neglecting her when Tsuri was so sick, Krysta made her as comfortable as possible back in her cage, in the corner where she and Tsuri slept together, with a little bit of fluffy material to be soft against her face. She had the time to say goodbye to her little friend. And shortly after two a.m., she returned, and Ceçania wasn't moving or breathing. She had died peacefully in her sleep.

After Krysta had put her back in the cage and before she knew that she had died, she wrote these words in a note to us in case she fell asleep before morning :

As of 1:15 a.m., Ceçania is very sick. Her forepaws keep trembling and she
won't move much. She hasn't been eating and I found her laying in a
puddle of her own urine.
Please set up an appointment with the vet tomorrow, if she's alive
when you read this. She looks sad, depressed, and sick. And in stress/pain.

I can't watch it again. Whatever the vet suggests, "sleep" or not.
I won't keep her alive for me.
She misses Tsuri. Take the action you think best, please.


What an ordeal she went through!! How very mature of her to think of her friend before herself. And she never once said that she wanted to back out of her college enrollment.

I am so very proud of my little girl. She is so very beautiful inside, where it counts. She has turned into the most amazing, mature, wise, compassionate, and loving young woman. I am very grateful to God - she makes my spirit smile.

My husband took Ceçania's little body out to the flower garden and buried her in the same hole Tsuri's body was in. The position they ended up in was very similar to the one they used to sleep in, together, when they were still alive and healthy.

This whole adventure - Tsuri, school, Ceçania - has been a learning experience. We learned from those two little four-footed beings, and we're learning from each other.

It's astounding.

2 comments:

  1. Awww. Sad and beautiful. I know what it means to want to control other people, I'm recovering from that defect too! It's so much more rewarding loving people for who they are isn't it?! And yes, freeing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this mental image of Tsuri and Ceçania in Paradise, tussling like they used to do when they were both younger and in their prime. And no cage bars in sight.

    It IS rewarding loving people for who they are and not being afraid or threatened if they're not perfect little carbon copies of me. (shudder) My counselor gave me a card with a special version of the serenity prayer - God grant me the serenity to accept the person I cannot change, courage to change the person I can, and the wisdom to know it's me.

    ReplyDelete