Saturday, August 7, 2010

Shoulds and Oughtas - Who is He - Really?

Many years ago, my brother Skip, his wife and his entire family of five kids piled in the family vehicle and drove across Canada. They knew that it wouldn't be long before the kids would start to leave home, and they wanted to have these memories to hang onto after the chicks flew the nest.

When they got to the Rocky Mountains, the sheer size of them was simply astounding - and the vastness : they went on and on as far as the eye could see, disappearing into the clouds. Skip said that he'd seen photographs and he thought he was prepared for the scenery, but looking up at these gargantuan crags and cliffs made him feel like an ant next to the Taj Mahal. So grand - it was beyond description. It's at times like that when one realizes that God is God and we are ... well, we're not. He said it was probably the most humbling experience of his life.

In such a circumstance it's easy to be aware that God is much more powerful than we are. But in reality, do we really believe He is? And if we do (here's the kicker) do we believe He will work a miracle of transformation in OUR lives? I heard one fellow say to me recently, "I know God CAN do it. I just want to know if He'll do it FOR ME." Don't we all....

In my journey of healing, I had to ask some honest and searching questions: questions that I knew all the answers to in my head, but which my heart still had to know deep inside :
Who is God? What's He really like?
Is He interested in me the way I am?
Is He willing to get me from where I am to where I want to be?
Will He stick with me the whole way?

So I asked Him. "Will the Real God please stand up?" I didn't want to know ABOUT Him. I already knew all ABOUT Him. I wanted to KNOW Him. As a Person. As a Friend. And I told Him that. I sensed Him breathing a huge sigh of relief.

He loves honest, heart-felt questions like that. He started showing me, in ways only I would recognize, who He was, how much He loved me, how gracious, loving, merciful and trustworthy He was, and how faithful and persistent He was. And is.

He knew I was getting more and more ready for the question - the one HE wanted so desperately to ask ME.

"Will you trust Me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment