Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Reflections


It's just a hunk of rock in the sky.

Yet songs have been written about the moon, using the moon as a backdrop for romance, adventure, mystery, suspense.

It has no water. It has no air.
It has no light.

Not of its own, anyway. The light we see - and we all know this - is only a reflection of the sun's light.

It's a reflected glory. And when the world gets in the way, when it gets between the moon and the sun, less light reflects from the moon.

The moon doesn't try to shine. It doesn't turn up the wattage. It has nothing in and of itself. When the sun shines on it, the moon simply glimmers in response. Its ugly crags and ravines, its craters and waste places, are transformed into a thing of beauty - just because the sun shines on it.

The symbolism is unmistakable.

Whatever the world is for me, whatever its draw, it (pardon the pun) can't hold a candle to Him.

I want the fire and light of the Son to draw me past that place to where His brilliance is upon me, warms me, shows all my mountains and valleys, makes the darkness light all around me. Where there is nothing between me and Him and His life. Not so people can see me - but so that I can see HIM.

His love, His power, His compassion has rescued me from myself, from my compulsive need to jump up and down on my self-destruct button. It's only natural - because He made it supernatural in the first place - to want to "with open face behold... as in a glass the glory of the Lord." He automatically "transforms (me) into that same image, from glory to glory, ... by the Spirit of the Lord."(2 Cor 3:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment