Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pain's Purpose

Pain.
Nobody wants it; everyone (except one group: masochists) hates it. But we all experience it.

Physical pain. Emotional pain. Short-term, long-term.

Over the centuries, there have been varying theologies about pain. I say theologies because pain is so offensive to the human spirit that it cries out for explanation from the divine.

I know many people in the Christian world (and I speak of this world because most of my friends are in it) who hold to the idea that all pain is from the devil.

I'm not so sure. God created us with the ability to experience pain - both physical and emotional. If we believe that He is also love, then there must be a purpose to pain. This includes chronic illness, pain syndromes, mental illness, grief, and all those negative emotions we all try to deny we have. But we have them.

I don't claim to have it all figured out. But recent experiences as well as experiences others have had (and are having right now) have combined with observations I've made throughout my life, and I have a rather shocking idea to ponder.

Pain is a gift. From God!!

Oh, not a pleasant one, to be sure. But for a moment, let's just consider the physical aspect of pain. When we touch a hot iron, the nerve impulses send a message to the brain and within fractions of a second, the brain says, "That's pain. MOVE - NOW!" And that part of the body moves away - very quickly! The residual pain from the burn is a reminder to be more careful, not to touch the hot iron again. Usually we don't - unless by accident! If there were no message of pain ... instead of a blister, we would have a gaping wound from third-degree burns... and it would take a very long time to heal: much longer than a blister would.

I am sure that if Glenda, paralyzed from the mid-back downward, had been able to feel pain, say the pain of a urinary tract infection, she could have sought medical attention earlier, and would still be with us today. (Here's her story.)

Short-term physical pain is one thing. Chronic pain is something else. Sometimes I wish I could shut off the pain impulses that come from a recurring back problem. But even that is my body telling me that things have to change. "Sit up straight, don't slouch." And "What in the world are you wearing those high heels for? don't you know what that does to your back? Here, I'll show you!!" I've had enough chronic pain that I can sympathize somewhat with those who are never rid of it. And I'm not saying in the least that I don't believe that God can heal. Far from it. But let's face it - sometimes He doesn't. And we wonder why.

Emotional pain is the same way. Emotions are designed to be transient states that alert us to whether or not we are in a safe place. They are not "good" or "bad." They just ARE.

Jesus wept. He showed us several times that it was okay to express emotion. He Himself is passionate about us, about intimate relationship with us. My June post on that idea is in the link at the beginning of this paragraph.

We injure our psyches when we DON'T express how we feel, when we stuff feelings down inside and deny the existence of a problem, be it in our bodies, our circumstances, or our emotions. Doctors know this. Most of the chronic illness they treat originates from stress - and denial of stress increases stress. We can dress it up any way we want to, we can call it "speaking in faith" - but basically we are lying to ourselves when we deny ourselves the outlet that God has given us to deal with whatever is tearing at our spirits. A large part of mental illness and clinical depression stems from the unwillingness - or inability - to process hard stuff and let it out by expressing emotion and being honest with God and with ourselves about what's bothering us.

I'm not negating the physical aspect of these diseases. But we are triune beings: spirit, mind, and body. The three parts are inextricably intertwined. What affects one affects at least one of the others, if not both. God's way, God's purpose for us (in part) is for us to express those things honestly - preferably to Him. To ask Him the hard questions: He can take it! To tell Him we don't understand: He does! To learn to trust Him - even with the pain: He is there! Through the pain, to press into His heart and rely completely on Him. No deal-making, no excuses, no demanding. Just trust.

The same goes for circumstances. Again, I'm not denying that some events in our lives are orchestrated by the devil - for example, direct attacks on our personhood, tragedy, and (shocking I know) church politics. But God allows even these. Once more, does that mean He is not good? Definitely not! I believe, however, that God can use anything - ANYTHING - to get our attention. His one desire for us (as I mentioned) is intimate relationship with us, ever deepening, ever expanding.

Often we ask God to remove the very tool (circumstance) He is planning on using to grow that intimacy with Him, to drive us to our knees and seek His face. How could we ever learn anything if He removed the very instrument of His teaching?

To use an analogy from earlier days, if God never lets go of the bicycle seat because we are afraid of falling down and hurting ourselves, how will we ever know the joy and fun of riding the bike? Perhaps the very reason He lets go is so that eventually, He can ride with us and we with Him! so that He can take us places in Him that we never dared to go before!

I close with the lyrics of a song, a declaration of one who has been through so much:
Russ Taff.
I've been out in a cave for forty days
Only a spark to light my way
I want to give out, I want to give in
This is our crime, this is our sin

But I still believe, I still believe
Through the pain and through the grief
Through the lies and through the storms
Through the cries and through the wars
I still believe

Flat on my back, out at sea
Hoping these waves don't cover me
I'm turned and tossed upon the waves
When the darkness comes, I feel the grave

But I still believe - I still believe
Through the cold and through the heat
Through the rain and through the tears
Through the crowds and through the cheers
I still believe

I'll march this road, I'll climb this hill - upon my knees If I have to
I'll take my place upon this stage; I'll wait till the end of time ... for You!

For people like us in places like this
We need all the hope that we can get
I still believe - I still believe
Through the shame and through the grief
Through the heartache and through the tears
Through the waiting - and through all the years
I still believe ... no they can't take that away from me!

ohhh, NO NO NO!

No comments:

Post a Comment