Monday, December 5, 2011

Celebrating growth

It happened again.  

The first time I noticed it, my eldest child was 4 years old.  

When she was two, people always told me to leave her to "cry it out" in kids' church.  I knew how it felt to be abandoned.  So I stayed.  "She'll separate from me when she's ready."  People looked at me like I had three heads.  

But it happened.  As I said, she was four; her younger sister and I were dropping her off at playschool on her first day.  I had parked in a limited time zone - and told her the truth: if I didn't go back to the car, the police would make Mommy pay money to get her car back.  

"Do you HAVE to go?" she said.  
I gave a wry look and said, "I'm afraid so, honey."  

Source of this image through Google Images at:
http://www.popscreen.com/v/37ug/Perfect_Strangers_-_The_Dance_of_Joy
She stared at me for a couple of seconds, as if drinking in everything about that moment.  Then she shrugged and said with a smile, "Okay Mommy.  Bye!" and she whirled around and started to play happily with the other kids.

As soon as I was back in the car and on the road again, I let out a whoop of joy! It had happened - just like I knew it would.  It was the threshold of a new era in her life. She felt confident and comfortable in her own relationship with me and with herself to be able to let go on her own.  What a triumph that was!

And today - as I was saying - it happened again.  She got her first paying job.  

The last couple of years has been leading up to this moment - I've watched her blossom in knowledge and confidence - turning into the amazing young woman I always knew she would be.  And today was just the opening of another door, just like that day in preschool.  A new job in her chosen field - loving the work, her co-workers, and the organization for which she is working.  What more can a person ask for!  And it couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

No comments:

Post a Comment