Monday, July 23, 2012

But I will remember

I wrote a book about 8 or 9 years ago.  It was never published - I never quite thought that it was finished, and it just lacked ... oomph. 

It sat in a file in my old computer, actually got passed along from computer to computer.  I always knew that someday I would do something with it.  Yet something felt ... unfinished. 

When I was first writing it, the words poured out of me like a torrent.  As I got closer to the point where I left off, though, it seemed ... uncertain, hesitant. It was like there was a bad taste in my mouth - like I was spewing forth poison and someone was going to get hurt.  I didn't have the first clue how to take that out.  So it sat.  The book sat, as it were, on the shelf.  I just had this sense that it had to wait.  It had to wait until I was ready.

About two months ago, it's like I suddenly knew that it was time.  Time to go back and rework what was there, take out the poison, use my current voice, take out some parts and add others, and after that, pick up where I left off.

The hesitancy was gone.  I knew where I was going with it.  

It was to be a prequel to "Get Unwrapped!

Source of this photo

I don't know how long it's going to take, or when it will be ready. But I'm working on it... and the words are pouring out of me again. 

The "fever" is upon me again. I laugh and cry as I write.  I remember the things I'm writing about like they were yesterday.  

With the help of all the wall calendars I've kept stashed away through the years, the memories are taking shape, firming up.  I'm getting into the groove of telling my story, remembering how things used to be, what happened, and how I got through it - or didn't, as the case may be. Even as I write, it spurs other memories long forgotten. 

And I know it's right. The poison I felt was there in 2004? - it's being expunged and in its place, compassion and truth reign.  When I left off writing it, I felt I had arrived - and now, that's no longer true.  

A lot has changed. 

I've changed.  

So I'm looking forward to seeing this take shape, to refining it, to getting it ready for publication. 

Who knows? At the rate I'm going, it might even be ready by Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment