Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Merciful goodness!

I'm recovering from a cold that I caught yesterday when I was at the walk-in clinic.  I was fine when I was there - now I caught this little kid's cold who was in the waiting room with me, across the room from me, even. Ugh.

Be that as it may, I'm not writing to vent about doctor's offices, or little kids, or any of that.  I'm writing to express my gratitude. 

For the last several months, my husband and I have been watching this little quarter-inch sore on his arm refuse to heal - I'll spare you the details but bodies are supposed to heal and this thing didn't behave ... normally.  Over time it gradually got a little bigger until it measured almost a third of an inch across and was puffed out.  Anyhow - yesterday morning he finally went to get it seen.  I just so happened to have the day off (planned two weeks ago so no, yesterday's doctor's visit wasn't planned by me; it just was what it was. )

After his name was called, I decided to go in with him because I was there, and I was curious.  And I was also a little scared because I knew something was amiss.  The doctor confirmed my niggling little fears - it was indeed basal cell carcinoma - and she was quick to point out (seeing the look on my face, no doubt) that this is the harmless kind of cancer. All that would be required was its excision at the hands of a plastic surgeon.  

She made the referral to a good plastic surgeon, and today his receptionist called and booked a date for April to have it seen to. Just like that. 

Found this photo (through Google Images) at:
http://radical-church-history.blogspot.com/
2011/10/lost-art-of-gratitude.html
After checking with a friend in the know, I've come to understand that all of these carcinomas are sent to the lab to be analyzed after they are removed; this is quite a relief.  

All the research we've done since the diagnosis shows that 98% of these cancers are localized and benign - and that of those that are malignant, there is an extremely good recovery rate.  The doctor did check his back for more spots - there were none - and said that if ever he had a 'friend' that hung around longer than it should without getting better, it would be best to have it checked - a mild rebuke for waiting so long in the first place.  Yet she didn't seem too awfully concerned about it, which gave us the message again that it wasn't of the "oh my goodness it's cancer!" variety.

When I think of what this MIGHT have been, though - it makes me extremely grateful for the mercy of God.  It reminds me that life is so very short, and that every day is precious, and that especially so are the people in our lives.  I find myself taking little moments aside to just thank God - no agendas, no manipulation, just pure gratitude.  I thank God for being merciful to us. For showing His goodness to us.  For taking pity on us.  I also am thanking Him for the wonderful gift He gave me: the gift of this my best friend in life -- my very loving, very thoughtful, yet very ... human ... husband -- and being all the more determined to enjoy every moment with him.

Thank You again, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment