Friday, October 28, 2011

Thanks - for help

Yesterday I put my back out at work.  Sciatic pain is not fun.

That said, I can think of several things for which I can be thankful, even IN this situation.  

I can still walk.  Okay, I am limping, and have to go a lot slower, but I can still get from point A to point B.  

I can ask for help from my family members ... and I can usually get it.  My husband and kids have brought me things: coffee, food, pills ... and hubby has provided transportation to and from doctor, physiotherapist, and pharmacy.  I have nothing for myself except what must be done by myself alone.   I am grateful to all of them.

A conversation with a friend this morning via Skype.  It lifted my spirits when I was hurting pretty badly, gave me something else to think about (other than my own stuff) and allowed me to vent about the situation that brought on this last attack.  

Workers Compensation Board.  I am grateful that this organization exists to compensate for lost time due to workplace injuries.  They really took care of my needs the last time this happened.  

Social networks.  As much as I complain about facebook, it's a great way to get information out there to a lot of people at once.  I just wish more folks were on Google Plus (no ads, no ticker, and lots more choice of privacy.)

My close friends who love and support me. I know they care - they have been sending me their love and support all day long.  Awesome! 

Drugs.  When anti-inflammatories don't work, other prescribed medications usually will - like the opiate analgesic known as Tramacet®.  It's starting to kick in just now, and I'm so very grateful for the relief it provides while I am waiting for physio to work its magic.  

Thanks for this photo (via Google Images) goes to:
http://northcoast.medichair.com/Products/
Mobility/Canes/offset-cane.php
The brilliance and skilled hands of para-professionals in the health care field.  I'm specifically thinking of physiotherapists, massage therapists, acupuncturists, and chiropractors.  How fortunate I am that WCB will cover these things and even if the Board doesn't, my health insurance will.  

The attentiveness of my dog, Shari.  She has been whining at me for the last hour.  (Or perhaps she just needs to go out.)  (grin)  [Okay she did have to go out - but when she came back in, she waited for me to follow her and kept looking back at me to make sure I was okay... and she is about 5 feet from me on her bed right now, keeping watch.]

Aids to daily living.  I'm using a cane I had used after a previous injury to help take the pressure off my right leg and hip as I go from place to place.  It lessens the pain spikes.  

All things considered, God has indeed blessed me in the midst of all of this.  And strangely, in spite of the pain, I am smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment