Friday, October 22, 2010

Take a breath

Every once in a while, after a series of emotional body-blows, it's like God calls a "time-out" in my life. The storm clears, the wind dies down, and He invites me to "take a breath." Stop. Breathe. Re-orient. Rest.

About 8 years ago I stumbled on something that King David said when he talked about how well God knew him. I read it in the New Living Translation. "You chart the path ahead of me and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment You know where I am." (Psalm 139:3)

The tacit permission that gave my spirit - to be where I was, to feel what I felt, and to take the time I needed to rest - has come to my aid so many times in my recovery.

This week I've needed to do that again. It's been very comforting to know that even when I think that my life is spinning out of control, He has gone ahead of me and will give me a rest stop, a place to pause and take a breath before going on. And that no matter where I am, He knows where I am and ... He's not nervous about it; He knows what's ahead.

I can trust - and rest - in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment