Friday, October 29, 2010

A simple connection

A card was waiting for me on the breakfast table yesterday; it had come in the mail the night before and I hadn't seen it. It was addressed to Judy and family, and it was from the Vet Clinic.

It had only been a week since my cat Cody had to be put down. Inside the envelope, on the front of the card, I saw a photo much like the one on the left, with a caption like, "Real friends leave lasting impressions on our hearts."

Inside was a short but heart-felt hand-written message of sympathy from the vets and staff of the clinic. I recognized the handwriting from so many charts I had seen with the same pen; it was of the very doctor who had handled the euthanasia, and I was reminded again of the compassion and the care shown to both Cody and us in his final hour and afterward.

And I lost it. Tears bubbled up and spilled over. It was an unexpected reminder of happier memories, mingled with the sad one, and gratitude welling up for such wonderfully caring people as Doctors Lisa and Andrew, and of course Anne-Marie, their assistant who has been there at the clinic from the very first time we walked in with one of our charges.

They are two such powerful words, yet they seem so inadequate to express the depth of emotion felt at a time like that. But I say them anyway.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment