Friday, July 1, 2011

Dominion Day

Happy Dominion Day everyone!

Thanks to Salvatore Vuono for his
photo, "British Flag" at
www.freedigitalphotos.net

I use the old term for 'Canada Day' and yes, I choose the "Union flag" today to honour those Canadians who fought - many of whom died - under this flag.  Every war in which Canada participated (up until the institution of the Canadian flag in the mid-1950s) was fought under the standard of the British flag  -  "for king and country."  So I have a special spot in my heart for the original "red, white, and blue."

On the beaches of Normandy, it was the Union Jack that flew over the masts of the ships which brought wave after wave of Canadian troops, a good many of them to their deaths, to fight the enemy and help to end the war.

It was under the Union flag that my dad signed up just shortly before the Second World War ended.  It came to a close on both fronts as he was getting ready to go to the ship that would have taken him overseas.  

They changed the name of today's holiday from Dominion Day (which it was ever since its inception) only recently to Canada Day.  They said that it was to engender more patriotism - I'm not so sure.  I just think they got tired of having a reminder every year to the biblical principle on which this country was founded: that God would have dominion from sea to sea.  So I call July 1st Dominion Day; it's the way I was raised - even though I was born after the institution of the Canadian maple leaf flag.  

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not anti-Canadian; I'm a Canadian citizen and I love my country.  I am proud of the accomplishments and dedication of Canadians, from the field of science (remember Banting and Best, discoverers of insulin?) to our Canadian troops, past and present, wherever they served - or serve.  

My ancestors, though, were British loyalists who came to the Maritimes in 1789.  There is a long history of loyalism and royalism (if that's a word) in my family.  My father's ancestors were one of the founding families of the village where I grew up.  It's not anything for me to boast about - since I didn't do all those things and face those incredible challenges myself.  But it is part of the legacy that was left for me.  And so - I have a soft spot for the symbol that flew at the top of the flagpole and of the military standards during all those years. 

I choke up when I sing "O Canada."  My heart swells when I see the Canadian flag being raised at an international sports event (such as the Olympics) signifying that our athletes are among the best in the world.  I like it that Canadians are welcomed with open arms when we travel internationally.

I will celebrate the birth of our country today - both as a proud Canadian and a loyal British subject.

1 comment: