Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Accepting criticism

In the last few weeks, some of the work we do has been under review.  The tricky part about reviewing something that people have been doing for a long time is that it's pretty easy to get up in arms about being subjected to some constructive criticism. Since our "widgets" are documents that are going to end-user clients, and I take great pride in my work ... when someone questions my wording or grammar or even my logic, I have a tendency to get a little 'put out.'  Most of my errors have been typographical, the odd preposition not used the correct way, that sort of thing.  But today there was a document with some major errors in logic and in content. Ouch.

Source (via Google Images):
http://www.oilogosphere.com/blog/report-card
At first I tried to argue it, to say, "This is why I said that."  That didn't go very far.  So I went into "roll-with-the-punches" mode.  And while that was happening, the person took that opportunity to give me a lesson in what should have been the basics for me.  I was not impressed - and still less impressed with myself AND the whole reason for the review in the first place.  But I held my tongue.  

I did ask for some suggestions from a co-worker regarding one of the points that was raised.  And I got some helpful hints, which I plan to use.

One of the things I appreciated about the reviewer's talk with me was that it was made clear to me that this didn't need to be fixed today.  "Set it aside until tomorrow.  Then make the changes and when it's done, bring it back to me." It kind of surprised me - that this person would be that gentle with me.  That extra time, and the person's kind attitude, gave me the time I needed to decompress.  It's amazing how a little time and space can give me some perspective.  And help me to let go.  So here I am letting go ... again!! (grin)

Nobody likes to be told that something they thought they knew how to do was wrong all along.  But... better to know and be able to take steps to correct it, rather than continue to do it wrong!  And now I know how to produce a better widget.  The quality of my work will improve.  And that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment