Thursday, September 13, 2012

Let Go; Let God

One of the most important things I'm learning -- and re-learning ... and re-learning, as many times as it takes! -- is the importance of living my life according to the motto, "Let Go; Let God."  I have that saying on my whiteboard right by the doorway, so it's the first thing I see when I arrive home, and the last thing I see before I leave.  

I've been focusing a lot on the letting go part, because after so many years of hanging on as if my life AND the lives of my loved ones depended on it, it's been so difficult to learn how to relax my iron-fisted grip on things I thought I had to control, know about, and monitor.  So much so that the letting God part kind of felt like an afterthought: "Oh yeah, right. That too."  

I was kind of worried about that.  I fretted a bit that I might have left God out of the equation, and I didn't want to do that.  So as I discussed my concerns with God (yeah well, some folks call that praying ... I guess...) a thought occurred to me that hadn't before, even though it was staring me in the face the whole time.  

Letting Go is PART OF
Letting God

Well duhhh...  How could I have missed that!

It's a vital part.  Of course! Letting God doesn't just mean that I ask Him to do what needs to be done in my life, in other people's lives.  It means that I trust Him to do the right thing, and that I let go of my need to control how He does that, suggest ways for Him to do it, or try to twist His arm into producing the outcome I desire.  He decides.  HE decides!  

Even if I don't like some of the things along the way.  Even if it's scary.  Even if I or the people I love have to go through stuff I'd rather they - or I - not go through.  I let go and give it to God and I keep my hands off it - because that's part of letting God.  Letting God means I let Him BE God - without interference.  That I get to accept whatever He decides, and sometimes, I even get to watch Him work.

That's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment