Wednesday, August 15, 2012

All for one

We spent over two hours reminiscing about old times, talking about our common pasts and our hope for the future. How we appreciated each other and how our lives had changed in so many ways even in the last five years when my family and I were in crisis and the life of one of us was hanging in the balance.

The warm, easy camaraderie we have with each other (and have had for years) is impossible to manufacture.  It's organic.  It's based on layers upon layers of experience, held together by the mortar of mutual trust. 

Friendship.  There's something welcoming even about the word itself.  To me, it's not just people doing fun stuff together, knowing each other's names and a little bit about their families. I know dozens of people that way, and while they do fall under the category of 'friend' - this is not the same.  It's deeper than that.  It's knowing that no matter what, these friends will be there for you.  If you're happy, they will help you celebrate.  And if you're hurting, they will come to your aid.  And you'll do the same for them.  

It's like the old Three Musketeers motto: "One for all, and all for one."  

This friend was there for me when I needed her most - at a very low time in my life when I didn't have anywhere else to turn.  Her loving care for me gave me a soft place to land in what was a tumultuous time for me and for my family.  And now, I'm able - and happy - to be here for her.  

It's just as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment