Thursday, November 17, 2011

Old Friends

Last night I was in a store where I don't usually go.  Normally, when the family goes to this place, I stay out in the car or I do something else, because it's full of temptations - rows upon rows of tasty treats, candies, chocolates, nuts, and so many more things that I find so irresistible.  But when my daughter suggested that I go with her to this place last night, I agreed; it had been a while since I had been in there, and besides, I needed a distraction.

We'd gotten to the checkout when I saw the person in line ahead of us, just paying for his items.  He looked kind of familiar to me, and I looked again.  It was someone I had not seen in almost 3 years!  I spoke his name and he turned - and his face brightened up with surprise and delight when he saw me.  

These hugging salt and pepper-shakers I found
through Google Images at:
http://www.theorientalmagpie.com/display.php?
c=35&pId=196&t=Necklaces
He headed in my direction and we hugged warmly!  Immediately we began to catch up on each others' news.  

It was like the absence of 3 years hadn't happened and we picked up right where we left off.  What a great chat we had in those five minutes or so.  We cleared up a miscommunication almost immediately that had prevented us being in contact on a more regular basis, and once that was addressed, we talked like magpies - so much so that my daughter went back to the car to wait for me! 

The whole experience gave me an emotional lift; it had been - well, not exactly a hard day but a challenging one.  Seeing my friend after so long - and seeing his reaction to seeing me again - was like correctly putting on a jar cover that had been threaded on wrong. 

Old friends can do that, especially the kind that don't so much need the other person as they just enjoy being around each other.  I'm glad that I have friends like that.  And I'm glad to BE a friend like that.  Old or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment