Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Breaking a Few Eggs

I'm the kind of person who likes to feel safe. I know that some people thrive on conflict; I'm not one of them. I like to have things planned out, predictable, and no-risk. 

There comes a time, though, when it's necessary to take a few risks to achieve a desired result, to no longer settle for the "status quo." The expression, "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs," sometimes applies. 

Thanks to Apolonia at www.freedigitalphotos.net for
this photo called "Omelette with Vegetables"

Lately, though I can't exactly pinpoint when or how it started, I've been taking a few risks in my personal life, in my spiritual growth, in my finances, and in my professional life. Yes, it's outside my comfort zone; yes, it's scary. Very scary at times. However, I came to the point where the same-old-same-old was just not acceptable. Something had to change. My attitudes slowly evolved and I found myself making choices that I would never have considered even a year ago. 

Even something as simple as expressing an opinion that might not be considered popular, was unthinkable for me several months ago, but I find myself doing it on occasion. Just on occasion... but at least it happens instead of me suppressing my feelings and suffering for it physically.... with symptoms that typically range from headaches to acid reflux to backaches.

Do I know how all this happened or what started the ball rolling? No, not exactly. In a way, I kind of grew into it, as my relationships with myself, with God, and with others healed, and I automatically began to feel more comfortable inside my own skin. All I know is that the more I look after myself, the more I let go of the things in my life over which I have no control, and the more I refuse to try to influence the outcome of other people's stuff, I find that I have more energy for the things in my life that I can change ... and I also notice that my body fights less against me. 

That's one omelet I could relish.

No comments:

Post a Comment