Friday, November 25, 2011

Running on empty

Sometimes I forget to look after myself.  Sometimes I'm more concerned with what others are thinking and feeling than what I need.  

When that happens, my reserves run low and I need a reminder to slow down and take stock.  And fill up.

Google Imaged this at :
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/
thumblarge_312/1222042616CzL76J.jpg
I am so grateful for good friends in a safe environment who will not judge and who feel free to share their experience, strength, and hope with others.  Sometimes, I forget that it is I who needs the help and encouragement.  I occasionally still believe that the responsibility of saving my corner of the world falls to me, when God might have other ideas and let someone else step up to the plate for a while.  

I used to get upset when that happened, as if someone else had usurped my calling in life - you know - as the great fixer of all that is wrong.

That's impossible. 

Not everyone will do things the same way I would.  It doesn't make them wrong - or me wrong.  It's just different. It takes a variety of people to be able to help people of endless variety. 

Duh. 

I'm slowly learning that I cannot give away what I don't have.  And if I'm running on empty instead of doing what I need to do to look after myself and my emotional / spiritual needs, I will have nothing to give to anyone who might need help in a crisis situation. So, my best bet is to keep on keeping on with the day-to-day business of self-care.  This way, I look after first things first - filling my cup so as to have something to give to others.  And not feeling embarrassed or slighted when someone else gets to help.  

Just gratitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment