Saturday, March 15, 2014

Blink of an eye

Blink.

December 18, 1991 - "Get a trauma blanket in here. Let's see if we can raise a vein."  .... "Ma'am, can you make a fist?" .... "Okay the IV is in - let's get some Tagamet in there to stop the nausea..." ... "You were dehydrated, Judy. Badly. We'll keep you on liquids for a few days. You'll need someone to look after you when we discharge you from hospital." 

Blink.

July 16, 1992 4:10 am - "Puuuush!! One more big push!" ... "How did you DO that?" .... "Honey, you were amazing."  (A baby cries in the corner of the room). "Welcome to the outside, Arielle!" ... 

Blink.

1995 - In church - "I am sallllty, I am sallllty, I am salllty, Oh Lord..."

Blink.
 
Summer 1997 - "You getting ANOTHER five Mr. Freezies? Don't these kids have homes to go to?" ... "But Mom, they're thirsty..." 

Blink.

June 2000 - "It's okay honey. Lots of people repeat a grade. You'll do all that much better next year."

Blink.

March 2002 - "Mrs. D____, we need to talk to you about some bullying that's been going on." ... "Sweetie, it's not okay that people are calling you those names. We need to stop them from doing it to you and stop them from doing it to anyone else too." ...

Blink.

October 2005 - "Well of course she passed the test; she's not stupid! You gave it to her in a quiet room with no distractions! Give it to her in a noisy room and she'd fail it!" .... "What do you mean she's just lazy! She knocks herself out every night doing homework. She just doesn't know what parts to pay attention to!" 

Blink. 

November 2006 - "No, I wasn't aware that she skipped school today. Yes, we'll have a conversation with her." .... "You want to go to the Village AGAIN?  I'm not sure those kids are good to hang around with..." ... 

Blink.

May 2007 - "Is this Arielle's dad? Um, I think you better come pick her up. Someone gave her some 180-proof and she's falling down and throwing up."  ... "So, how does it make you feel?" "AWful. I never wanna do that again." ... "Good." 

Blink.

February 2010 - "We had a fight and K___ kicked B____ out. I left with him. We have nowhere to go. I don't know what to do, Dad."  .... "If they stay here we at least know where she is." ... "Dear God, where did we go wrong?".... 

Blink.

September 2012 - "Mom. [sob]. They turned me back at the border and they made C___ go back to Michigan. Can you and Dad come and get me?" ... 

Blink. 

May 2013 - "Honey, we can't do it anymore. We can't stand the lying and the stealing, the not knowing where you are. Pick up your stuff because this is it. You can't come back home." ...

Blink. :'( 

June 2013 - "Yeah, we're leaving. There's nothing for us here anymore. We're going out West." ... "We'll keep in touch..." ... "Text me."

Blink.

July 16, 2013 - "I got the job, Mom!!"... 

Blink. 

September 18, 2013 - "You're never gonna believe this Mom. .... God touched me. I know He's real. .... I used to be afraid of being alone. And I'm not anymore. It's like I have this Friend who never leaves me." 

Blink.

September 19, 2013 - "Well she kicked me out, I have nowhere to live but in my car..." 

Blink.

October 5, 2013 - "Oh Mom. Don't give up your Thanksgiving spirit. Look at me, I'm living in my car ... but I'm thankful for my family, for what I do have. Just don't give up on Thanksgiving, Mom."

Blink.

October 23, 2013 - 1:10 pm - "Honey, ... I ... don't know how to start this conversation.  The police were just here at the house.  There's been an accident ... a head-on collision. ...."

Blink.

No comments:

Post a Comment