Saturday, August 29, 2026

When Tears Flow

 One of my most favourite songs in contemporary Christian music (and by contemporary I mean in the last 50 years, doesn't that make me old?) is Twila Paris singing "The Warrior is a Child" ... it describes someone who is admired for her strength and courage, who really cries inside to be held by the Giver of Strength, God, and gives herself permission to do just that, while acknowledging that her admirers are not aware of it. (I also like her "Sing me a Lullabye" for much the same reason - except this one is actually a prayer.)


Free photo from Pixabay
They are on YouTube if you want to look them up.

This part of the journey is not easy to talk about. It's about seeing someone you love more than you thought possible, struggling to go from day to day, fighting what seems like an insurmountable battle and an unwinnable war. It's about watching the people around you offer their help and their comfort and their support in ways that are tangible - money, yes, but also chores, gift cards for gasoline, offers to donate services for free, HUGS, sometimes even a song, and so much more. The kindnesses shown bring tears to my eyes because I know there is no way that I can repay them, and because they are proof positive that we are loved and cared for by so many more people than we ever imagined. 

But it is also about knowing that what we can see with our eyes is not necessarily all there is to it. I believe in divine healing, and I stand in the faith of Jesus when I speak to the cancer and tell it to shrink and be destroyed and eliminated in His name. That's the warrior part of me. 

And sometimes tears flow. And that is okay. In this weak flesh, I pray that His amazing power and glory will shine so that all will see that He is the source of the miracles. 

And some days are tough. It doesn't mean that faith falters (for it's His faith!) but simply that some days, I feel weaker and more vulnerable. That's all. It keeps me humble, and it keeps me coming back to God to "drop my sword and look up for a smile," as Twila sings. That's the child part of me.

I don't usually talk about my faith on this blog, but it's such an important part of who I am that this once, I cannot be silent about it. When tears flow, and they do, it's not a sign that I've lost faith, but that I need help, strength, and renewed hope to carry on and keep resting in my Saviour's faith. And He gives it.

Things that are real are not always visible. In fact, St-Antoine d'Exupery said in "The Little Prince" that the most essential things are invisible to the eyes. 

I've learned that my tears allow me to fully experience my humanness. That they show my love, my faith, my gratitude, and the depths of my human experience. I do not apologize for them.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment